Reasons for Filing an SR50 in Indiana

The Indiana SR-50 insurance form is a document or affidavit that demonstrates to the state of Indiana that you have insurance coverage for your vehicle or yourself if you do not own a vehicle.

Free Car Insurance Comparison

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

When the SR-50 is Necessary?

Some offenses trigger the requirement for the SR-50 form. However, it should be noted that the obligation is limited to either particular types of crimes or the sheer number of driving offenses or points that are placed on the driver’s license. For example, a ticket for speeding or reckless driving is not enough by itself to warrant an SR-50 form. However, multiple driving offenses may trigger the requirement for the form to be submitted.

DUI or DWI: This offense will automatically require an SR-50 form to be filled out and sent in as part of the insurance verification requirements.

Refusal to take Breath or Blood Test: Although not an offense in and of itself, this demonstration of not cooperating will automatically garner an SR-50 form for your insurance coverage.

Excessive Points or Multiple Offenses: A string of moving violations that accumulate enough points against your license will trigger the SR-50 form.

Drive an Uninsured Vehicle: Over the years, states have cracked down on uninsured motorists with this being one of the methods used by Indiana.

Neglect and Child Support Cases: While not directly related, not paying child support or being convicted of neglect will bring about the SR-50 form needed for your insurance policy.

Legal Judgments: This is a more open category because it will depend on the judgment that is delivered. In some cases, this may be up to the judge’s discretion or part of the penalty requirements if a guilty verdict is delivered.

In any case, you’ll want to review with your attorney any potential judgment against you to see if an SR-50 form may be required.

How to File an SR-50 Form?

File SR-50 IndianaIf you own a vehicle, all you need to do is attach the SR-50 form to the insurance policy. This will let state authorities know that you have insurance coverage when driving your vehicle. You can talk to your insurance agent about filing the SR-50 insurance in Indiana. In fact, most insurance companies will submit the form when you inform them about the requirement.

If you do not own a vehicle, then you will need to attach the SR50 form to a named operator’s policy. This is a policy that provides you with coverage when you are using or borrowing a vehicle from a friend or family member. The process is roughly the same as if you own a vehicle as the insurance company will file the form for you.

Keep in mind that if you do not keep up the payments and your policy is canceled that the company may inform the state, or the state may discover that you have no insurance and will suspend your driver’s license. So, it is imperative that you maintain your payments during the period when an SR-50 form is required.